Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Steven Gerrard rejected Real Madrid transfer Twice; insists he would have regretted move from Liverpool

Steven Gerrard
*The Reds skipper will lead his side out at Anfield tonight and despite the possibility of
more trophies in Spain, he is happy with his decision

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he once turned down a move to Real Madrid ahead of tonight's Champions League clash.

The 34-year-old was linked with a move to the Bernabeu around 10 years ago, when a number of top European sides including Chelsea were interested. He eventually rejected all advances to remain at Anfield and despite the possibility of trophies in Spain, Gerrard insists he would have regretted moving on.

"I think it is very flattering to be linked to a huge club like Real Madrid," Gerrard said. "I think I had a couple of options throughout my career to go to Real Madrid but I resisted temptation because of the big connection I had to my hometown club.
 
"It may be something I regret further down the line by not challenging myself and having a change of scenery in a different country but I would have had a bigger regret leaving the club I love.

"I am a big fan of Madrid, they are a special club, but for me Liverpool is my number one club."

Gerrard's comments come after Real boss Carlo Ancelotti revealed he also tried to sign the ex-England skipper, when he was in charge of AC Milan.

Ancelotti claimed: "I don't remember exactly what year it was but we did try. Of course, I wanted to pair him up with Pirlo; it was a fantastic combination. Putting Gerrard in midfield with Pirlo. It would have been fantastic.

"We had sounded him out but Gerrard's bond with Liverpool was unbreakable."

No comments:

Post a Comment