Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Seun Kuti blasts Senators’ Careless Wastefulness



Seun Kuti

The demands of members of the Nigerian senate have attracted the scorn of Afrobeat musician Seun Kuti.
Seun, who is following in the footsteps of his late father, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, of condemning extravagant spending by politicians and government officials, took to his Facebook account yesterday where he posted a picture of a Sunday newspaper of April 17, 2016, with a headline ‘Senate buys 108 jeeps at twice price’.
The headline bulleted that Senate ‘pays N35m for each Land Cruiser’ despite a  ‘showroom price of N17m each.’ The story also bulleted that ’36 vehicles distributed, others to arrive in May.’
The Afrobeat musician made reference to Senator Ben Murray-Bruce who advocates ‘Common Sense’ and ‘Buy Naija’ revolution in the Senate.
‘When it comes to luxury ‘common sense’ is quiet ooooo. Lol. What happened to (Innoson) the motor guy? Na Toyota dem wan drive? Wake up people.’
He then added the hashtags:

  • #ýtearitdown and
  • #ýhouseofmisrepresentatives and continued in a second post.

‘OK dear Nigerian, you have to answer this question please,’ he said.
‘If one Land Cruiser is 35 million naira, how much is Rolls Royce Phantom?’
He then took a swipe at the children of the lawmakers, writing, ‘If you are their kids, your hashtag should be:
  • #ashamedofmyparents
  • #ýchildrenofthieves.’

Monday, April 18, 2016

Doha oil producers meeting ends without an agreement




A summit in Doha among the world's largest oil producing countries ended without an agreement on Sunday, as country leaders failed to strike a deal to freeze output and boost sagging crude prices.
The conference's failure sent crude prices tumbling in early trading on the NYMEX, which fell by more than 6 percent as traders resumed the commodity's sell-off. Stock futures also fell in sympathy, indicating a lower open on Wall Street on Monday.
Initially, the meeting's outcome was thrown into doubt after Iran made a last minute decision not to attend and Saudi Arabia vowed not to halt or freeze production unless other major producers did the same. Amid strains between the regional rivals, nearly 20 of the world's largest oil exporters could not find enough common ground to hold the line on output after marathon talks.
Mohammed Saleh al Sada, Qatar's oil minister, told reporters that the group "needs more time" to construct the outlines of a deal to freeze output. However, he cited "improved fundamentals" as a reason why an immediate agreement wasn't necessary. Earlier in the day, a draft accord proposed to hold output at January levels until at least October.
The dynamic has left the world awash in oil supply that has sent prices reeling. All eyes now turn to June's meeting of OPEC countries, where the cartel's hand may be forced if crude prices begin another downward spiral. The failure of the summit could also lead to a renewed drop in crude prices, which only recently have begun to recover.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Zuma's Saudi deal is history repeating itself - Democratic Alliance

Minister of Defence and Military Veterans Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Friday raised the spectre of the “1999 Arms Deal” after the president and defence minister “went under the radar and unveiled a military industrial complex in Saudi Arabia last month”.
The party said on Friday that it pushed Minister of Defence and Military Veterans Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula “to make a ministerial statement…addressing allegations that South Africa has partnered with Saudi Arabia in the production of weapons and armaments in an offshore joint venture which saw the opening of a new military industrial complex”.
Specific questions the party would likely ask include:

  • "Why was Treasury nor Parliament advised on a new arms merger between South Africa’s Denel and Saudi Military Industries Corporation?
  • “Which countries will use these arms besides Saudi Arabia. If exported‚ which countries will they be exported to?; and
  • “Why was the South African National Defence Force not notified nor consulted for recommendations?”

ICC Probes Nigerian Army, Boko Haram over Human Rights Abuses



The International Criminal Court has started the process of investigating alleged human rights abuses by the Nigerian Military.
The court will also study cases of abuse by the Boko Haram sect.
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have accused the military of illegal killings and incarceration.
In the meantime, the federal government says it is committed to upholding the highest standards of human rights in the conduct of all international affairs, including counter-insurgency operations.
The Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami explains the Nigerian Army has conducted its operations in the north east of the country in a highly professional manner while imbibing best practices.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Google to Train 1million Young Africans in Digital Skills


The US tech giant will‚ in partnership with Livity Africa‚ run two training programmes namely ‘Digify Bytes’ which will give digital skills to young people looking to develop a digital career; and ‘Digify Pro’, a 3-month immersion programme for digital specialists.
Google plans to train 300,000 people in South Africa, it said in a statement Tuesday, a country where 35% of 15-to-34-year-olds are unemployed. A further 400,000 Nigerians and 200,000 Kenyans will receive free digital training, while another 100,000 people will be selected from other sub-Saharan Africa countries.
In addition to the two programmes to be offered‚ Google on Tuesday launches online learning portal digifyafrica.com‚ offering a range of digital skills courses for anyone in Africa for free.
Currently‚ nine training courses are available‚ with the aim of increasing the number of courses on offer to 50 by July.
“The Digify programmes (which are all free) will provide tools and knowledge on subjects including building an online presence‚ creating content‚ understanding web design and user experience‚ social media and app development”‚ said the company in a statement.
Google South Africa’s Country Director‚ Luke McKend‚ says “the internet is at the heart of economic growth and the Digital Skills Programme is aimed at helping more Africans play a part in the digital economy”.
“Google is in Africa for the long haul and we are making an investment in talent,” he said. “We hope that the people trained will become pioneers in the field and do great things in digital for companies and for Google.”
“Everyone can succeed online‚ start a new business‚ grow their existing one‚ or share their passion”‚ he added.

Fashola charges NERC on fair electricity tariff


Babatunde Fashola

The Nigeria Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has charged the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to balance the concern of all stakeholders and consumers and come up with a tariff that is fair.
Speaking at the fourth monthly meeting of the Minister with power sector participants at the Calabar Power Station in Odukpani local government area, he said the issue of tariff has become very contentious, but it is the purview of the regulator.
Represented by the Permanent Secretary, Power, of the Ministry, Mr. Louis Edozien, he said, “It is the statutory and legal responsibility of NERC to balance all the concerns and come up with a tariff that is balanced. They attempted to do that in December. They listened to power stations like this. You can see what is here. The owners of this station need to earn money to pay for all these. It is the tariff that pays for it."

Friday, April 8, 2016

Dangote constructs $200m cement plant in Cote d'Ivoire


Dangote Cement Plc is deepening its Pan-African expansion drive with the commencement of construction of a new 3-million metric ton per annum capacity cement grinding plant in Cote d'Ivoire.
The new project is coming just as the company announced the ground breaking of a new 6-million metric ton per annum Greenfield cement plant in Okpella, Edo state and commencement of work on a 6-million mtpa capacity plant in Itori, Ogun State.
Dangote Group Executive Director, Strategy, Projects and Portfolio Management, Mr. Devakumar Edwin, while making the disclosure in Lagos yesterday, said the Cote d'Ivoire project would cost the company $200m and would be completed in 18 months,
The project has aroused a lot of interest from both the government and people of Cote d'Ivoire.
The grinding plant, made up of two lines of 1.5 million metric tons capacity each, when completed, will double more than the total capacity of local cement production in the francophone West African nation, as the plant would raise total local cement production capacity of the country by over 100 per cent.

Popular Posts